The Latin Grammys are over, and the ‘other’ 2010 Grammy nominations have just been announced. Must be early December once again. That means it’s also time for everyone’s list of top music for the year.
A couple to share with you today: NPR’s top 50 Albums of 2010 , and, Jeffrey (aka “Jay Paul”), the world music guru at Burlington’s WRUV-FM, has just compiled the station’s top 10 world music recordings of 2010 (based on quantity of airplay over the year), here they are:
1. Gilles Peterson: Havana Cultura Band [on Havana Cultura-Brownswood]
2. The Souljazz Orchestra: Rising Sun [on Strut Records]
3. Various artists: The Rough Guide to Afrobeat Revolution [on World Music Network]
4. Caetano Veloso: Zii e Zie [on Nonesuch]
5. Various artists: Back to Peru, Vol. 2 [on Vampi Soul Records]
6. Ali Farka Touré and Toumani Diabaté: Ali & Toumani [on Nonesuch]
7. Fela Kuti: The Best of the Black President [on Knitting Factory Records]
8. Tommy T: The Prester John Sessions [on Easy Star]
9. Various Artists: The Rough Guide to Paris Cafe [on World Music Network]
10. Luísa Maita: Lero-Lero [on Cumbancha Discovery]
More to come. The year may be old, but the month is young!